Federal ID: What You Need to Know

September 5, 2017

News has circulated around for some time now about the need for people to have federal identification or known as the ” Real ID” when flying in the United States. Can you believe it. Under this new law, you will need to have a federal ID to cross state lines by plane.  Lets first talk about what a “Real ID” is. It is a

What Is A “Real ID”

A “Real ID” is a security measure to ensure any person boarding planes, entering federal buildings, and/or military bases. The Id only shows minimum identification and minimum information. It looks just like a regular ID only it will say federal on it.

What do you need to know about the “Real ID”?


Before You Travel:

Check the state’s status on Federal IDs. There are 9 states that are not in compliance with the Federal law. These states include Kentucky, Maine, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina and Washington. The 9 states listed above will be required to show other proof of identification. There are also states that have extensions that stretch out the timeline to get a federal ID to 2020. Here is the kicker.

  • Compliant States:
    • Can use state-issued IDs to fly in the United States until October 1, 2020.
    • On October 1, 2020, you may Only use your “Real ID” or passport to flying in the United States.
  • Noncompliant States:
    • On January 22, 2018, you may use state-issued ID only if your state was granted an extension to 2020. If your state did not get an extension you may NOT use your state-issued ID for flying in the United States.
    • On October 1, 2020, you may Not use state-issued ID for flying in the United States


What You Will Need:

There is nothing worse than driving yourself down to the DMV and having to wait in that ridiculous line. So, making sure you have all documents needed to get your “Real ID”.

Forms of Identification:

  • Driver’s License, State Issued ID
  • U.S. Passport
  • DHS Trusted Travel Card (Global Entry, Nexus, Sentri, Fast)
  • Border Crossing Card
  • Airline or Airport issued ID
  • U.S. Merchant Mariner ID
  • Permanent Resident Card
  • Federally recognized, Tribal Card
  • HSPD-12 PIV card
  • Foreign government-issued passport
  • Canadian provincial driver’s license or Indian and Northern Affairs Canada card
  • Transportation worker identification credential
  • Immigration and Naturalization Service Employment Authorization Card (I-766)

Other Forms of Identification:

  • Birth Certificate
  • Proof of residency
  • SS Card

What Information Will Be on The “Real ID”:

  • First, middle, last name
  • date of birth
  • residence
  • endorsements
  • date issued/expired date
  • a barcode will have
    • social security card
    • citizenship

Where To Use Federal ID:

  • Airports
  • Federal buildings requiring identification
  • Military bases and establishments

Where To Not Use:

  • Entering federal buildings that don’t require identification
  • Voting or registering to vote
  • Applying for or receiving federal benefits
  • Participating in law enforcement proceedings or investigations
  • Access to healthcare (including hospitals, clinics, law enforcement)

Questions that need to be answered according to TSA, children under the age of 18 are not required to get a federal ID. Another burning question is will this affect immigrants? It might. How much I am not sure.

The real question is will the government use these IDs to gain personal information? According to TSA, the answer is No! However, TSA is federally funded. That being said I can’t say this will happen. I can not make assumptions when I myself really don’t know. This is a waiting duck at the moment.

How this will affect your travel depends on you and the state you reside in. This is merely a guide to help you in the next few years so traveling can be done in a hassle free and smooth.

Want more travel tips and adventures check out my other blogs here:

Traveling with Pets

Best Travel Gear

15 Ways to Save Money

The Real ID Federal Identification Cards #realid #federalcards #passports #traveltips #travel #traveling




Previous Post Next Post

You may also like


  • Eric Gamble

    Louisiana always giving us problems and needing extensions, haha. By the way when you travel international did you know instead of filling out that silly sheet of paper and waiting in the long line you can download a free app called Mobile Passport that replaces that little sheet and the silly line with the computers. Its not global entry but it is a free option to move a wee bit faster

    September 20, 2017 at 11:53 am Reply
    • Amanda

      Isn’t that the truth. I did know about the app. I have never used it, however. But it is a great tip to have for sure.

      September 20, 2017 at 8:55 pm Reply

    Leave a Reply

    %d bloggers like this: